James: Week 2
September 19, 2022 | Tracy Troxel
- Are you tempted to blame God when your life is filled with disappointments and challenges?
- Do you expect that your life should go reasonably well now that you are following Jesus? Why? Why not?
- Verses 14 & 15 indicate that sin comes out of our own desires and that sin is destructive. Do you view your sin as destructive to you and everyone around you?
- Since every good gift is from God, what can you thank God for right now?
- Paul alerts us to the fact that in Christ our old self has been put off. In other words, we are new people by the power of the gospel.
- Paul then exhorts us to put off the behavior of our old selves and live consistently with who we are now in Jesus.
- This gospel identity is crucial in our struggle against present temptation and sin.
- This text is a good reminder of how sin came into the world and how sin is destructive to every relationship and area of life.
- This text refers to the sin of adultery and impurity.
- The text details how we should take sin seriously and deal with it decisively.
- Too often, we put up with our sin rather than dealing with decisively in the power of the Holy Spirit.
- Preview of sermon text for September 25th.
- This is the first part of what it means to ‘Quick Hearers”.